Dr Patapia Tzotzoli, BSc (Hons), MSc, MPhil, DClinPsy
CPsychol, CSci, AFBPsS, HCPC, RAPPS & EuroPsy registered
Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Dr Patapia Tzotzoli is an award-winning Consultant Clinical Psychologist offering sessions worldwide via Skype or one-to-one in London. In 2016 she won the Mental Health Psychologist of the Year award by Medical LiveWire for her services and in 2017 she received the Mental Health Psychologist of the Year – UK & Best CBT Practice – UK by the Global Health and Pharma Magazine Awards.
Her professional expertise in offering psychological services is based on firm academic and clinical knowledge. This has been gained through a rigorous education from reputable universities alongside research, lectureship and extensive clinical experience within the NHS and other private health care centres in the UK and Greece.
Now, as a Consultant Clinical Psychologist, associate fellow and chartered psychologist & scientist of the British Psychological Society, and registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and the European Federation of Psychologists’ Association, she strictly abides by their standards of conduct, performance and ethics in her private clinical practice. She is also committed to Continuing Professional Development by continuously consulting with other experts about her work and regularly attending seminars, lectures and workshops.
In her work, she focuses on adolescents, adults and couples. She specialises in assisting people to overcome difficulties, to work towards optimal personal effectiveness, and to improve their overall quality of life.
Patapia is particularly interested in difficulties that stem from relationships (with self or others), work or studying and physical health. She loves working with business professionals, highly successful executives, students, as well as medical patients alongside their families or caregivers.
Applying her specialisation in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Patapia tailors each intervention to an individual client by complementing this with techniques from other approaches, such as mindfulness, motivational interviewing, acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT), and schema therapy. Her expertise in neuropsychology provides her with a valuable additional method of assessment and the ability to offer specialist advice where cognitive weaknesses, such as memory and attentional difficulties, trouble individuals in their everyday life.
Patapia enjoys a reputation of warmth and informality during her professional work, while achieving effective outcomes for her clients.
In parallel, as the CEO and founder of iConcipio Ltd, she is interested in developing support systems using web-based technologies to promote personal effectiveness. She began with MePlusMe, an online system designed for students in higher education to address their mental health and study skill needs. Patapia plans to later adopt this for business corporations. As part of this work, she is actively involved in the research and development of the system, as well as fundraising and funds management, strategic business development, marketing and leading a team of 15 people at different levels of seniority and specialties. As a result of this project, Dr Tzotzoli was the recipient of the Lion’s Den award in entrepreneurship from King’s College London in 2011 and was shortlisted from over 2400 applicants to participate in the Falling Walls Lab 2016 competition in Berlin.
Patapia maintains a blog covering a range of psychological topics and regularly engage with social media (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn). She enjoys contributing to or authoring articles in print and online, translating psychological books or materials in Greek or English. For a full list of publications please click here. Patapia also engages with media work by commenting on areas of psychology, giving interviews, and being an expert reviewer on various panels, such as the Parkinson’s UK information review group and Rethink Mental Illness national charity. For examples of this work please click here.
As a speaker at workshops that she organises for the public and specialised audiences, as well as when she delivers presentations at national or international conferences, Patapia is passionate and engaging.
Patapia teaches psychology and counselling students through live cases, where appropriate, and she offers clinical supervision to trainees and experienced psychotherapists, psychologists and counsellors who want to further the quality of their services and improve their personal competence. She is a qualified Supervisor and registered in the Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS) of the British Psychological Society.
- Doctor in Clinical Psychology, King’s College London
- Master of Philosophy, Biological Sciences, University of Cambridge
- Master of Science, Research Methods, University of Oxford
- Bachelor of Science (Hons), Psychology, University of East London
- British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP)
- Division of Neuropsychology (DoN)
- British Neuropsychological Society (BNS)
- South Thames Neuropsychology Specialist Interest Group (Neuro SIG)
- International Neuropsychological Society (INS)
- Special Group of Independent Practitioners (SGIP)
- The Association of Clinical Psychologists (ACP)
Clinical & Research Experience
- Department of Neuropsychology, Queen’s Hospital, Romford, Barking, Redbridge and Havering Hospitals NHS Trust, London, UK
Clinical Psychologist & Research Director
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Centre of Athens – Hygeia Hospital, Neurosurgery Clinic and Gamma Knife Department, Athens, Greece
Clinical Psychologist in training
- Department of Psychological Medicine, King’s College Hospital, London, UK
- Clinical Neuropsychology Department, King’s College Hospital, London, UK
- Felix Post Unit for Older Adults, Maudsley Hospital, London, UK
- Maudsley Centre for Behavioural Disorders Bethlem Royal Hospital (MIETS), London, UK
- Community Mental Health Team (CMHT), Streatham, London, UK
- Michael Rutter Centre for Children and Young People, Maudsley Hospital, London, UK
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), Brookside Family Consultation Clinic, Cambridge, UK
- Oliver Zangwill Rehabilitation Centre, Ely, UK
- Andreas Papandreou Hospital, Rhodes, Greece
- Student Disability Services, University College London, London, UK
- Association for the Psychosocial Health of Children and Adolescents, Athens, Greece
- Prince of Wales International Centre for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (POWIC), SANE, Oxford, UK
Clinical Psychology Lecturer
- British-Hellenic College, Athens, Greece
Clinical Psychologist in Private Practice
- London, UK
- Athens, Greece
- Rhodes, Greece